Being part of the ginger family and having great medicinal purposes, turmeric is great in food. I may say it is a great complimentary side dish with any curry. Having grown up in Kenya we do have allot of other races, especially Asians and allot of their traditional methods of cooking have been passed on in a sense. Who better to learn how to use this plant from, as they have been using it for thousands of years for various reasons. So something like this was never new to me growing up. It is not as hard as you may think to make it, just another extra step than you would make plain rice.
1 cup, Basmati Rice
2 cups, Water
1 tspn, Olive oil or butter
½ tspn, Turmeric powder
- Wash your rice as you want to get rid of the extra starch on the rice.
- Add the washed rice into the pot, with the oil, turmeric and water.
- Place the pan on a high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Add the cardamoms.
- Turn the heat down to a low heat and cover to 10-12min.
- Turn the heat off and leave to cool for a minute or two, then serve.
There’s also many other types of rice as you may know from, rice and peas, coconut rice etc. what’s your favourite rice? let me know.